Food 2030 Government Strategy for Food Security
In the Food 2030 document setting out future food strategy, the government have said they want to happen:
Consumers are informed, can choose, and afford, healthy, sustainable food. This demand is met by profitable, competitive, highly skilled and resilient farming, fishing and food businesses, supported by first class research and development.
Food is produced, processed and distributed to feed a growing global population in ways which:
- use global natural resources sustainably,
- enable the continuing provision of the benefits and services that a healthy natural environment provides,
- promote high standards of animal health and welfare,
- protect food safety,
- make a significant contribution to rural communities, and
- allow us to show global leadership on food sustainability.
Our food security is ensured through strong British agriculture and international trade links with EU and global partners, which support developing economies. We have a low carbon food system which is efficient with resources – any waste is reused, recycled or used for energy generation.
This sounds good – but now the hard part. Will they make it happen?